Salty Air: Residential & Commercial Air Conditioning
Types of Air Conditioning
Split system: Split systems are usually used to cool one or more rooms or an open-plan area. They provide better cooling than window and through-the-wall or portable air conditioners. However, they are more expensive and require professional installation. Split systems work by placing the cooling parts of the air conditioner outside and then having one or two inside parts that contain the fans.
Split system air conditioners are usually used to cool or warm one or more rooms or an open-plan area. They provide better cooling and heating than window and through-the-wall or portable air conditioners. However, they are more expensive and require professional installation. Split systems work by placing the cooling/heating parts of the air conditioner outside and then having one or two inside parts that contain the fans.
Are there different types of split systems? Yes. There are two types:
- Conventional split systems
- Inverter split systems
The Inverter Spit Systems are the latest in engineering and are noticeably quieter and more reliable in the long term. Moreover, the inverter technology delivers up to 36% energy savings over conventional products.
Another comfort benefit of this technology is that they have eliminated the annoying initial surge of cold air on the heating cycle which is common to conventional high wall mounted splits.
A split system is an air conditioner which has two separate units making up the system – an indoor unit (evaporator), which is located inside the space being cooled or warmed and an outdoor unit (condenser) where the air from inside is rejected. The two units are connected by pipes which carry refrigerant.
A variation on the standard split system air conditioner is the multi-split system, which as multiple indoor units connected to a single outdoor unit. This allows the system to cool and warm multiple rooms.
Multi split system: Normally targeted for commercial use it is now becoming available to the consumer through commercial specialists and resellers. Similar to a split system, the multi split system provides cooling from two to nine rooms throughout the house from one outdoor air conditioner unit through to the indoor units. Unfortunately, this type of air conditioner makes it difficult to determine minimum efficiency performance (MEP) when the air conditioner is turned on in all rooms of a house.
Portable: Portable air conditioners can be moved around and are much cheaper than other air conditioners. However, because of their small size and lower power output, they are not as good at cooling you down.
What is an inverter?
Through new, advanced technology, Inverter air conditioners are more economical to operate and quieter to run than conventional units. They can handle greater extremes in temperature, are smoother and more stable in operation and reach the desired temperature more quickly than conventional air conditioners.
Comfort and Stability
The air conditioner’s output is stabilised at the optimum setting within the range from maximum to minimum to match the load, which is affected by factors such as the room temperature and the number of people present.
High Efficiency Technology
Significantly higher efficiency is realised by using DC twin rotary compressor, DC inverter control and DC fan motor technologies.
How Reverse Cycle Air Conditioners Work.
An outdoor compressor unit compresses liquid into a gas state to allow the refrigeration effect to take place; the same way as your home refrigerator. The compressed gas is transferred through the connecting copper pipe installed inside your home or ceiling space. An indoor unit/console basically consists of a fan and a coil. The fan is connected and then controlled by a room installed thermostat that draws the air from inside the home, passing it through a filter and then recirculates throughout your home approximately 10 times each hour.
Ducted reverse cycle air conditioners cool or warm air in a room to a set temperature; controlled by a touch pad or remote control and can be controlled per room or ‘zone’.
There are three main types of compressor technologies used in refrigerative systems:
- Standard technology where the compressor is switched on and working at 100% capacity. When no cooling is required the compressor is switched off.
- Inverter technology where the compressor is always on but the operating speed will increase or decrease according to how much cooling power is required. Inverter technology can be more energy efficient than standard technology.
- Digital scroll technology, which is an alternate technology to inverter control. It also gives a variable output and energy consumption, but maintains a constant compressor speed. This technology is only used in larger ducted systems.
Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Sunshine Coast can help you come up with the right ducted reverse cycle air conditioner for your home by looking at the following range of factors:
- Your home’s floor plan: How many levels are there? What are the dimensions of the rooms (including ceiling height)? Which direction do the rooms face?
- The size, position and orientation of windows and doors.
- The type of construction (for example, weatherboard or full brick).
- The level of insulation.
- The number of people living in your home.
- The main use of the area (for example, sleeping, living, cooking).
- The ceiling cavity space – slimline systems are available for homes with small ceiling spaces.
- Outdoor spaces – just as with split system air conditioners, the outdoor compressor unit(s) needs to be installed somewhere where noise won’t be an issue (for you or your neighbors).
- Large systems may require a three-phase power supply, which will be an extra installation cost if you don’t already have it.
This is why you should never buy such a system “off-the-shelf”; Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Sunshine Coast will design a system for your unique, individual situation.
Features of a Reverse Cycle Air Conditioner.
There are several design features to consider. Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Sunshine Coast are able to offer a range of options, depending on the design and requirements of your home. These include:
- Vents come a variety of designs and can be installed in the ceiling or walls.
- Controls are usually hard-wired and mounted on a wall, unlike the remote controls used for single split-systems. You may have one controller for the entire system, but in a large house you might opt for extra controllers in other parts of the house for more convenience.
- Sensors are used by the controller to keep the room at the targeted temperature. Large open-plan areas may need multiple sensors.
- Most systems allow for a home to be divided into zones for convenience and economy, so that you can turn on the air conditioner for only the part of the house you want cooled/heated (say, living areas, bedrooms, or different floors) rather than the whole house. Or, you can set different climate levels for different areas as required.
The ducting is a key component of any reverse cycle air conditioning system. Ducts need to be thermally efficient so that valuable cooling or heating isn’t lost between the air conditioner unit and the target room. Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Sunshine Coast will only install ducting that meets or exceeds the Australian standard for duct work, AS 4254.
Air Conditioning Sales and Service
We provide a 24-hour Air Conditioning repair service, from the Sunshine Coast and beyond
Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration pride ourselves on having the leading air conditioning repair technicians on the Sunshine Coasts from Gympie right through to North Brisbane. Our qualified team of break down and repair technicians will correctly diagnose first time and explain to you the fault and preventative measures you can take in the future to prevent reoccurring faults.
Our technicians will arrive on time and clean up after themselves. Our technicians are on call 24 hours, 7 days per week.
You can Get in touch with us 24 hours a day by phoning 0408 548 228 or by using our get in touch form here.
Air Conditioning Maintenance and Preventative Service
It is very important to keep your air conditioning units in optimum working order as this extends the efficiency and life of your system. Regular maintenance of air conditioning units are also required under your air conditioning warranty. Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration can perform these services at a time suitable to you. Our service department is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Contact Salty Air, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Sunshine Coast today to arrange your free maintenance plan.
Air Conditioning – Supply and Sales
We supply a large range of air conditioners Australia Wide, and provide installs for our customers on the Sunshine Coast from Gympie right through to North Brisbane
Not only are we often more cost effective than the big retailers, but we send out trained technicians to give you expert advice. Our staff will listen to your needs and ensure that your air conditioning unit is the correct size and in the right location.
We understand that you have a budget so our technicians will be able to give you several options to ensure up front and on going costs stay within reach of you and your budget. We promise to clean up once your unit is installed, vacuuming your carpets and wiping down surfaces. Customers with ducted installations will receive a cleaner for their home at no additional charge. If you have an established home, whilst providing air conditioning to the whole home may not be viable, you can most certainly air condition most rooms.
Installation Service & Repairs Sunshine Coast
To ensure that your system maintains its efficiency we recommend a service schedule. In the home environment filters should be cleaned twice per season. In a commercial environment, filters should be cleaned monthly. The cleaner the filters, the more efficient the system will operate. Efficient air conditioners keep running costs to a minimum. Our services include assessment of your requirements, supply of all components, installation and general maintenance, and we do it all at industry best prices.